Home > LIAT passengers deplaned in precautionary move
ST. JOHN’S, Antigua, September 09, 2009 – A fluorescent light end connector on a LIAT plane overheated causing smoke in the cabin as the aircraft was about to depart Antigua for St. Maarten and Tortola Wednesday morning.
LI 316, with 37 passengers on board, was taxiing up the runway when the crew was alerted of the smell of smoke in the cabin.
As a precautionary measure, the captain immediately shut down the aircraft engines and the passengers were deplaned and returned to the terminal building.
The emergency services arrived on the scene within minutes. No injuries were reported.
LIAT engineers have since repaired the faulty connector and the aircraft has been returned to service.
LIAT is one of the leading Caribbean airlines. It is owned by regional shareholders, with the major shareholders being the Governments of Barbados, Antigua and Barbuda and St. Vincent and the Grenadines. More information about LIAT may be found at www.liat.com.
Desmond Brown, Corporate Communications Manager, LIAT (1974) Limited, Head Office, Sealey Building, Sir George Walter Highway, Antigua. Telephone: +268 480 5600 EXT 6222, fax: +268 480 5638 and email: firstname.lastname@example.org.